What are you curious about on your farm? Do you have an idea for a research or breeding trial and need help designing an experiment? The Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario can help you answer your on-farm questions with financial and technical support. Farmer-led research uses the scientific method in a way that is compatible with your farming and your equipment. It is a flexible and powerful tool that can help improve operations on your farm, including the environmental and economic impacts of your innovations and comparisons.
Support is open to all farmers interested in improving or adopting ecological practices on their farm.
Currently, financial support is as follows:
- Current EFAO members receive a $500 stipend per farm per project and $250 per farm per variety trial
- Non-members receive $425 farmer-fee + an EFAO membership per farm per project and $175 per farm per variety trial
- Reimbursement up to $1000 for research expenses that are pre-approved
EFAO staff will help throughout the entire project, from design to the final report. Each project is unique, but typical responsibilities for staff include:
- Help to design project and write a detailed protocol and data collection sheets
- Analyze, summarize and publish results in the form of a research report
- Monitor progress of the project and provide support when needed
- Help collect data if needed
- Provide training opportunities related to farmer-led research
For more information about EFAO’s Farmer-Led Research Program, visit: https://efao.ca/farmer-led-research/.
How do I become a farmer-researcher?
To apply for support, please join us at the Farmer-Led Research Symposium on Dec 2nd, 2019 in Belleville* and/or contact the EFAO Outreach Consultant in your region (contacts below). Applications due in January 2020.
*A limited number of travel bursaries are available for northern farmers interested in attending the Farmer-Led Research Symposium in Belleville.
For Timiskaming and Cochrane Districts: Emily Potter- email@example.com
For Sudbury, Nipissing, Muskoka & Parry Sound Districts: Isabelle Spence-Legault firstname.lastname@example.org
For Algoma and Manitoulin Districts: David Thompson email@example.com
For Thunder Bay District: Karen Kerk- firstname.lastname@example.org
General Program Inquiries: Allison Muckle- email@example.com
Director of Northern Programs- Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario