Freshwater Research Assistant
CLOSING DATE: June 17,2022
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT:
Canada Summer Jobs/Summer Student Position
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Lake Huron North is seeking a qualified individual for facilitating communications/outreach, conducting research, and assisting with event organizing. The individual hired would be employed with
the Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre, under the direction of David Thompson, Manager of the Rural Agri-Innovation Network (RAIN).
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the following (with guidance from Lake Huron North staff):
• All aspects of outreach, from campaign design to posting campaigns on social media, to
maintaining a fresh online presence across all used platforms
• Creating infographics, short videos, taking photos, and other forms of engagement for our
website and social media
• Contribute to environmental planning for riparian restoration activities
• Responding to members of the public who comment on or send inquiries through social
• Identifying potential project partners (based on our Strategic Plan)
• Identifying potential funding for planned projects (based on our Strategic Plan)
• Drafting or contributing to funding applications
• Research ‘who does what’ regarding soil health across the North Channel
• Organizing and assisting with community events
• Capturing and synthesizing notes from any meetings and/or events
• Helping to set agenda items for meetings, drafting meeting minutes
The successful candidate may occasionally be asked to assist with project execution or other tasks, including:
• Planting trees at sites across the Algoma District
• Installing cattle fencing
• Facilitating or presenting at meetings
• Visiting sites that we previously planted with trees to assess survivorship
• Testing water quality and/or recording data
• Help identifying potential podcast interviewees
• Helping to follow up on project activities (e.g., ordering equipment, sending out thank you
notes after an event, etc.)
• Drafting surveys or evaluations for participants at events
• Other related tasks
University or college student that is returning to full-time studies in Fall 2022.
Preference to candidates that have completed or are completing a Diploma or Degree in a related field (Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, Communications)
Experience using social media scheduling software, experience with planning events, attention to detail
Excellent organizational and communication skills
Computer proficiency with MS Office
For more information about the Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre and the Rural Agri-Innovation Network please visit: https://www.ssmic.com/rural-agri-innovation-network
Lake Huron North:
Lake Huron North (LHN) is a network of organizations who strive to improve water quality through collaboration and community-based stewardship. We work together in a coordinated effort with local community groups, individual volunteers, landowners, and the public service, to protect and improve overall water quality and habitats in and around the St. Mary’s River and West North Channel of Lake Huron. The goals of LHN are to maximize the efficacy of individual organizations and communities, to increase local capacities to respond to threats in the Lake Huron basin, and to provide information related to our stewardship efforts. Although our actions are local, we consider our global
responsibilities as stewards of some of the greatest freshwater bodies in the world.
Why choose employment in Sault Ste. Marie?
Located at the heart of the Great Lakes, Sault Ste, Marie is a beautiful waterfront city with a population of approximately 75,000. “The Sault” is rich in history, culture and adventure, boasting unmatched world class outdoor experiences throughout all four seasons. The bustling art sectors, museums, natural environment and numerous local eateries set our city apart from others. Summer and winter festivals are celebrated in a safe and affordable place to live. With easy commute times from home to work, and a high quality and vibrant lifestyle, Sault Ste. Marie provides a “home” experience withendless opportunities to discover.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 17, 2022
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS:
Confidentiality of all applicants assured. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted and we thank all other applicants for their interest.
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre welcomes a diverse workforce. As a non-for-profit organization,we are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.