RURAL AGRI-INNOVATION NETWORK (RAIN) FOOD ACTION COORDINATOR INTERNSHIP
The Rural Agri-Innovation Network (RAIN), Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre (SSMIC) and NORDIK Institute (Algoma University) are seeking a new graduate to work with a diverse group of stakeholders to facilitate skills development and event coordination to benefit the food and farming sector of Algoma. The individual will implement opportunities for networking the local food value chain as well as developing food skills.
Duties: Reporting to the RAIN Research Project Coordinator, the candidate will work fulltime for a one year duration. The Food Action Coordinator (Internship) will assist in the coordination of food and farming events, including the Eat Algoma Local Food Festival. The position will coordinate youth engagement initiatives to improve food skills. In addition, the position will assist in marketing campaigns, including creating materials and utilizing social media.
- Coordinating the Buy Algoma Buy Fresh local food marketing campaign, which includes:
- Fund development from organizations and businesses (advertising)
- Developing a local food and farming directory for print and online distribution
- Connecting farmers and restaurants for a local food menu campaign
- Maintaining the Buy Algoma Buy Fresh website
- Event coordination of Eat Algoma Local Food Festival, which includes:
- Organizing food vendors, farm vendors and entertainment
- Securing required permits for event activities
- Marketing of the event to the general public and sponsors
- Coordination of the Binesi Urban Farming Camp for elementary school students from grades 4-8 with topics on plant and food science
- Assist in coordinating additional events, such as farm tours and workshops
- Experience in event coordination will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Northern, rural and youth issues
- Possess excellent team and personnel management abilities, organizational and oral/written communication skills and be capable of working with little supervision
- Work ethics and personal attitude will rate highly in selection of the successful candidate
- Public speaking
- A recent graduate of a diploma or degree program (within the last three years)
- Limited job experience in field of study
- Graduates in fields of Community Economic and Social Development, Agriculture, Natural Sciences, Communications and Public Relations, Social Sciences or related disciplines preferred
This is a 12 month position with a salary of $30,556. The intern will be required to undertake some field travel and must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle. The individual will be expected to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply, please forward a cover letter and resume to:
David Thompson, RAIN Research Project Coordinator
Sault Ste Marie Innovation Centre
1520 Queen St. E. Sault Ste Marie ON P6A 2G4
Tel: 705-942-7927 ext 3027 Fax: 705-942-6169
This job position is administered by the Corporation of Laird Township in partnership with RAIN.
Application closing date 4:00 pm, Jan 30, 2014. Tentative Start Date, Feb 9, 2014