The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre is seeking a qualified individual to work within the Rural Agri-Innovation Network. The candidate will assist with ongoing field research and development programs in Algoma District. The RAIN Research Assistant will further assist in technical analysis and reporting of field collected data for development of peer-reviewed manuscripts and plain language summaries. This project will involve coordinating activities with different stakeholders, including farmers, researchers and partner organizations.
· Assist in the installation of agriculture infrastructure, including fencing, and various other on-farm tasks;
· Assist in planting trees, and shrubs on producer land;
· Assist in the measuring and recording of plant growth, soil conditions and general field attributes following specific sampling protocols;
· Assist in harvest of field crops, including measuring of yield and plant growth;
· Assist in development of future trials;
· Processing of data analysis, and report development;
· Maintain positive relationship with participating farmers.
· Preference to a background in agriculture/environmental sciences, or can demonstrate equivalent experience in a related field;
· The candidate must be returning to a post-secondary education institution (College or University)
· Experience in a farm setting and comfortable with livestock and farm machinery;
· Ability to work safely outdoors in all weather conditions;
· Work ethic and personal attitude will rate highly in selection of the successful candidate;
· Computer proficiency with MS Office;
· The successful candidate must have excellent organizational and communication skills.
This is an 8-week, full time position with a potential start-date the beginning of June. Wage: $15/hour
Location of work: Sault Ste. Marie with a requirement to travel in Algoma District.
How to Apply:
Applicants must apply before May 24th 5:00 p.m. Tentative start date is June 3rd. A cover letter and resume must be emailed to: email@example.com, and include “RAIN Research Assistant” in the email subject line.
Any questions regarding the position can be directed to: David Thompson- Project Coordinator
Phone: 705-942-7927 ext.3027 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why choose the Sault?
Located at the heart of the Great Lakes, Sault Ste, Marie, Ontario is a beautiful waterfront city with a population of approximately 75,000. “The Soo” is rich in history, culture and adventure, boasting unmatched world class outdoor experiences throughout all four seasons. The bustling art sectors, museums, natural environment and numerous local eateries set our city apart from others. Summer and winter festivals are celebrated in a safe and affordable place to live. With easy commute times from home to work, and a high quality and vibrant lifestyle, Sault Ste. Marie provides a “home” experience with endless opportunities to discover.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS:
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. SSMIC is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.